Folk Delicacy around Minor West Gate Area
Confucius Temple, Tainan Kitashirakawa Shrine Office, and Butokuden
The Remains of Former Tainan Kitashirakawa Shrine outer yard
No. 2 Jong-Yi Road, Sec. 2, Central West District, Tainan (along Fu'An n Creek)
Cheng-Gong Creek flows down from the semi-circular pond of the Confucian Te m p l e a n d sta r ts t h e j o u r n e y d ow n the Fu'An Stream. Due to its proximity to Tainan State Hall, it was the center of Tainan politics during the Japanese rule. In addition to the Confucian Temple, the former Tainan Kitashirakawa Shrine Office, the Stone Bridge, and Tainan Butokuden were all located in the Zhong- Yi Elementary School the Creek flows-by. Tainan Kitashirakawa Shrine worships Prince Kitashirakawa Yoshihisa. To commemorate the death of the Prince in Tainan, the establishment of the shrine began in 1922. It was completed in 1923 and listed as the 2nd level temple sponsored by government subsidy on October 31, 1925. After the Second World War, the shrine was abolished, and it was changed to the Martyr’s Shrine. It was demolished in the 58th year of the Republic of China (1969) and moved to Zhu-Xi. Today the main hall is located in Hall 2 of the Tainan Art Museum.
Tainan Butokuden was built in 1936, a stadium built to promote martial arts by The Dai Nippon Butoku Kai during Japanese rule. It hailed martial arts and honored martial spirit.
During Japanese rule, students learned kendo and related martial arts in Butokeden and pay regular visits of homage to the shrine; both are important educational and cultural facilities. After WWII, this area has been rebuilt into a school adjacent to the Confucius Temple. We can see different ideas on education in Tainan throughout different eras.