The Avenue for NCKU Students
Tracing the Root–The beginning of NCKU
This humble two-storied building was built in 1930. The first freshmen enrollment oath-taking was held here. Next to Gezhi Hall is the oldest building at NCKU. It is the Physics lab building, housing, at the time, the labs of the three departments existing: Applied Chemistry, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. ack in 1931, there were the sports field and baseball court along the avenue. Lush, tall trees, including one of the oldest ones on campus and a Rain Tree line the avenue today that connect Gezhi Hall, NCKU Museum, Yoyo Lake and Monmon Lake. he city wall of the Little Eastern Gate is a spectacular view on campus, which bears witness to the history of Tainan City. It was built after 1788 and now the remains intertwine with the airy roots of banyan trees. The Little Western Gate was relocated next to the city wall in 1970 and adds a little nostalgia to this place. The juxtaposition shows NCKU as a pioneer of heritage preservation.